TALKS BETWEEN MUNDINE & ANDRADE FALL THROUGH
By TOM WATT on July 21 2015
Last week, Demetrius Andrade’s Manager, Ed Farris had some choice words for Anthony Mundine, following a break down in negotiations and laid the blame squarely at the feet of ‘The Man’ for reneging on a deal to fight for Andrade’s WBO World Title in Melbourne, Australia. Farris fired shots at Mundine, questioning the type of fighter the former multiple-weight World Champion and current WBC Silver Champion at 154 lbs, saying that any fighter would take the opportunity to fight for a World Title on home turf.
"We agreed to terms with Mundine's promoter but have heard nothing back since then," Andrade said. "Mundine calls out [Floyd] Mayweather, but he won't take a legitimate WBO world title fight at 154 pounds in his own country? Same old story, I guess. Everybody wants something until they have a chance to really get it.
"I don't understand. We offered this guy a chance to win the championship of the world in his home country and he looked for a way out instead? What kind of fighter is he? Any real fighter would do anything for that kind of an opportunity."
"Anthony Mundine's team had one of those careful-what-you-wish-for moments in which Demetrius accepted all of their requested terms, including Demetrius putting up his WBO belt to fight Mundine on his own home turf. After previously agreeing to fight Andrade, Mundine's team has now had a change of heart, and they apparently are looking to fight a lesser opponent."
Those words were heard loud and clear by team Mundine and according to a source close to Mundine, the reason that they were unable to reach an agreement was the clauses in the contract that Andrade’s team were insisting upon that included locking Mundine into 3 potential fights if he was successful – a rematch with Andrade and a fight with another member of the Haymon stable – Mundine is at the stage of his career where he wants to look at things on a fight-by-fight basis and at 41 years old he simply cannot agree to such restrictive terms. ‘Choc’ issued a statement via www.boxa.com.au that responded to the comments made by Andrade’s manager and attempted to put forward his side to the story.
“We’d like to clarify the misinformation released by Team Andrade regarding negotiations of a potential WBO Junior Middleweight World Title fight between Demetrius Andrade and Anthony Mundine.
“Statements made by Team Andrade are inaccurate. The original author, as well as many subsequent articles published since, have all failed to contact us to obtain Mundine’s side of the story.
“We have never said we have accepted the terms given to us by Andrade’s team.
“Team Andrade may have accepted the terms of Mundine’s promoter to fight in Melbourne Australia, but the terms given to Mundine by Andrade’s promoter have not been agreed. We are unsure what Team Andrade want to achieve from their claims, however, we are disappointed their one-sided portrayal of the situation has positioned Anthony in the wrong way. We have given some time for Team Andrade to clarify the media statement as we feel a professional approach in our negotiations is always preferred. Especially when they were in progress.
“Anthony has a strategy and a plan to achieve his goals. He has been a loyal WBA ambassador for many years and since winning the WBC Jnr Middleweight Silver title he intends on fulfilling his obligations as a WBC Champion. He plans on continuing his dedication to his plan by defending his WBC belt and challenging the title holders and ranked fighters above him. The opportunity to fight Andrade for the WBO World Title was not on the radar until recently. He is not even ranked with the WBO.
“Strategy starts at the top by calling out Floyd Mayweather Jr to fight Mundine or vacate the WBC 154 Championship title. Mundine has dedicated himself to winning this title and fulfilling his responsibilities to the WBC as a good Ambassador and Champion. Once this has been achieved, he will attempt to challenge Erislandy Lara for the WBA World Title and continue his loyalty and unify the two belts.
“Fighting for the WBO World Title and being locked into options for three fights with below average financial benefit affects Mundine’s current strategy. Therefore it requires careful consideration. Mundine wants a fight-by-fight deal. It’s good for Boxing, the fans and Mundine given the stage of his career.
“Securing the big-name fights are always a challenge. Availability of opponents willing to fight Mundine, timing and contractual items need to be aligned for all parties. We are doing our very best to negotiate a fair outcome for Mundine in a professional manner.
“Claims from Team Andrade stating “Anthony Mundine’s team had one of those careful-what-you-wish-for moments”, is simply untrue.
“The simple facts remain – we haven’t accepted the terms (options) given by Team Andrade which lock Mundine into three fights and low dollars. We realise they value their Championship belt. They want ensure they have every chance of keeping it in their stable. Anthony’s WBC Silver Title and the position it provides him also has great value, therefore, the deal has to be fair to weigh-up the risk vs reward.
“Anthony has expressed his desire to fight the best and biggest names in Boxing. He is in perfect condition to perform as he did against Sergey Rabchenko to win the WBC 154 Silver Title. If we can’t secure a fair deal with anyone or fight for the full WBC 154 title (Mayweather or other if vacated), he will defend his WBC Silver Title and would even like to fight Gennady Golovkin at a catch-weight 156lb to further prove himself against the best fighters of our era.
“At this stage of Anthony’s career we feel we are being smart. We have to be calculated, as every deal we enter affects his legacy. And deals which detract from his strategy are bad deals for Mundine.
“We welcome any debate on our matters and always happy to provide any information to fans that is not confidential or commercially sensitive. We always appreciate the media getting a complete story before publishing to fans.”
With this latest dispute, it seems that relationship between the two teams has frayed and a fight between thee pair now looks unlikely as it seems Mundine will no re-focus once more on the WBC route. With Floyd Mayweather reportedly confirmed to fight Andre Berto on September 12th at 147 lbs, he should now confirm he will vacate his 154 lbs Title which will allow Mundine, as the Silver Title holder, to fight the highest ranked available fighter – Canelo is currently ranked at #1 but has a fight scheduled with Miguel Cotto in Novemeber. Next on the list is undefeated Jermell Charlo who defeated Vanes Martirosyan (ranked #3) in March earlier this year to go 26-0. Other notable names in the WBC top ten include Austin Trout and Sergey Rabchenko.
1. FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.
See Full List
When you step into the ring, you want to be at the peak of your fitness and ready for whatever your opponent is going to throw at you. Check out Endura’s comprehensive range of scientifically formulated sports nutrition to help you train longer, fight harder and recover quicker.